Protecting Your Home Against Wildfires
We are excited to have structural engineer Dr. Anne Cope from IBHS Research on the show today. IBHS Research is part of the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS), a 501 (C) nonprofit scientific research and communications organization.
Anne is the Chief Engineer at IBHS, where she leads the development of research programs to improve structural performance during natural disasters such as hurricanes, wildfires, and thunderstorms. She also oversees the implementation of research findings and building codes and standards.
This show is for you if you are ready to take control of your wildfire preparedness. We cover the science behind keeping homes safe and how small steps can make your home safer and more resilient. Anne also explains why this is important from a homeowner and insurance perspective. She talks about upcoming regulations that should result in insurance incentives for homeowners and shares how anyone can get started in incremental steps.
- [00:57] Dr. Anne Cope is a structural engineer at the IBHS Research Center. They do research about wildfires, wind, rain, hail, and more.
- [01:43] She grew up studying the impact of wind on structures. Fortified is a program and construction standard to reduce damage to homes developed from years of engineering judgment and testing.
- [02:09] The secrets for keeping houses together in the wind are the connections. The roof needs to stay connected to the walls.
- Embers need to be kept out during a fire. It’s all about the details.
- [04:39] IBHS is funded by the insurance industry similar to the way crash dummies are funded by the insurance industry. They’re looking for cost-effective workable solutions that will make their homes and communities safer.
- [06:02] Insurance companies have been hit badly by wildfires. Companies like IBHS can help lead the pack in finding solutions to make communities more resilient.
- [07:50] Wildfire prepared home. You can find solutions to wildfire prepare your home at WildfirePrepared.org. There is a designation you can get in California.
- [09:20] Insurers are looking for solutions and ways for home owners to differentiate the safety of their homes. They’ll begin to offer incentives for homeowners who do things to reduce their risk.
- [11:57] Homeowners can take control of their own situations having a wildfire prepared home.
- [16:16] Safer from Wildfires is a California interagency partnership to help protect homes and businesses from wildfires.
- [17:02] Take advantage of fireproofing your home and then talk to your insurance agent about finding a good solution for your home and situation.
- [17:38] We aren’t powerless against wildfires. The science that Wildfire Prepares uses is designed for single family homes, but it can be adapted for businesses too.
Thank you for joining us on the journey of fighting wildfires. We understand that we are in a constant battle with mother nature and things seem hopeless when we have to evacuate, leave our homes and not know what we will come back to.
On our podcast, we bring experts to educate homeowners, communities, and businesses on what they can do against wildfires. Our team consists of wildfire prevention specialists, retired fire captains, and fire marshals.
If you’re trying to get educated, find a solution to the wildfires, and do everything you can for your property then you have arrived at the right place!